Thursday 4 October 2012

Day:278, Words:278

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me......

38 years ago, I entered the world in a hospital in Melbourne, Australia. Now I am sitting in a village, situated 70 degrees north, surrounded by mountains, glaciers and fjords. I love new challenges and enjoy the adventure of existing in an environment that is unfamiliar, sometimes difficult but mostly exhilarating. In short, I am happy with my lot.

It was a quiet day spent working at a school that was free of students. My objective was to study the interactive whiteboard that sits on the wall in the school library and find out what its potential is. The school has two 'Smartboards'. They operate today as a giant TV or computer screen. If the whiteboard was a brain, it would be presently using about 5 % of its total capacity. I had a wonderful day playing with the new toy of technology.

Øksfjord has spent 20 million kroner on a new sea industry area in Vassdalen. The mayor is optimistic that the completed area will bring in more money to the community. Other similar floating jetties in neighbouring towns have proved financially successful.

Travelling flocks of reindeer have begun to use a new bridge west of Alta. This means that the animals will not have to cross the busy E6 highway, in order to continue their journey. The E6 stretches from Kirkenes to southern Sweden and up here, it is often a dangerous area for reindeer and drivers. All accidents involving reindeer need to be immediately reported to the police and the owners. Reindeer farming is big business and each individual reindeer death cost the owner thousands of kroner.



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment