Sunday 21 October 2012

Day:295, Words:295

Please excuse me while I continue my description of yesterday's massive flea market in the town hall. At 1pm, it was time for the auction of all the 'big money items'. Each year, around a dozen or so special things are chosen to be auctioned off in front of a cashed up crowd. I had my eye on a telescope, that I hoped would prove to be sold at a bargain price. The bidding started and I was the first to raise my hand at 100 kroner, then the bids came quickly at 150, 200 and 300. I re-entered the bidding war at 350 kroner, before the neighbours sent the price out of my allowable range. Lego was auctioned off and snapped up by the pleased shop manager, a good quality lounge set was purchased for the teacher's room at the school and a year 10 boy was ecstatic at securing two massive leather brown chairs at the crazy price of 100 kroner. His mother appeared less excited!

Once the auction was over, the public was encouraged to fill plastic bags for 10 kroner and take with them whatever they wished. After the last of shoppers had shuffled out and the cakes and coffee had been consumed, it was time to assess the damage.

Indeed a heap of stuff had been sold and the piles of kroner in the kitchen required its own counting commitee. Yet a glance at the tables indicated that there was going to be some tough decisions to be made. Eventually a group of men began to carry out the orphaned furniture, books, televisions and DVDs, dumping them into vans and trailors. It was a heartbreaking scene at the tip as perfectly good, yet totally unwanted items were hurled into oblivion.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment